Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Tubeless (and Painless)

The only thing I was thinking about more than having the PEG tube out of my body was the sharp pain I had when the first one was taken out in 2009.  That one really smarted, and even more because I was not ready for it to sting so much.

So, this time I thought I'd ask for a local pain med (too early in the day for full-on opioids) and was getting ready to do that when the nurse said "All done."  Huh?

Turns out this was different type of tube, and once she deflated the little balloon holding it in place, it pulled right out--barely even a tug needed.  As Terry said, had we known that we could have taken it out at home ourselves--probably why they didn't tell us in the first place.

So, I'm feeling good knowing that I don't have to manage that intruding tube any more, and worry about accidentally tugging on it as I get dressed and undressed each time, or look at it dangling out of my tummy in the mirror every morning.  Believe me, there will be no post-partem blues with this!

A couple hours after getting back to my office I got an email from Terry, saying that I have an appointment with a doctor on Friday to start the consultations about dental work.  That will probably be a long and sometimes painful process, but it does mark progress and will get me closer to knowing what my long-term eating abilities will be.  I am resigned that my choices will be  limited from here on out, but anxious to know just what my options will be and to figure out how to stay at a safe and healthy weight going forward.

Today was a good day.  I'll savor that until the next round of work on my Brokedown Palace starts.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment