Thursday, November 26, 2015

Almost Tubeless on Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

The date for the PEG tube removal is set--this coming Tuesday afternoon.  It feels like I've been given another in a long series of Get Out Of Jail Cards, and I can't wait.  Even though I've  not used the tube for feeding in over three weeks, it's still there and in my conscientiousness throughout every day.  I know that its removal won't change my restricted choices for eating, but it will give me some psychological and physical freedoms that I've not had since the surgery on June 19th.  And, it marks a real achievement in my progress towards recovery from that surgery.

Even with that progress, we got a reminder last evening that this is still very dicey situation that can't be taken for granted.  We ordered out for Chinese food, as apparently did a hundred others in our area, which accounted for the nearly 90 minute wait to get a wrong order.  I ordered the veggie chow mein, thinking I could eat the rice noodles with no problem.  The veggies came, but with regular rice, not noodles.  Terry chopped up the veggies small for me, but with the rice mixed in, it caused a blockage in my throat that took over 30 minutes to clear.  I could breath with no problem, so was in no danger--but we were halfway to our one hour time limit of going to the ER when this has happened in the past.  Not a good memory.  But, it cleared and I was able to finish my dinner with a Boost--and some wine.

We had a great Thanksgiving dinner at Terry's family in Snellviille (where "Everybody is Somebody" and the seat belt usage record still holds at 94%).  I was able to eat almost everything, except the ham and turkey, but that was OK.  It was great to see a full plate of food in front or me, and eat every bite of it--even if it took about 45 minutes to finish.  If that's my future, I can handle it.

Speaking of the future, we met with Dr. Roser on Monday and he is very pleased with the way my mouth is healing.  He has referred me to another doctor who will assess me for dental work going forward.  The big question is whether I'll get a very long implanted bridge or a full denture to replace the lower teeth I've lost in the last two surgeries.  To be honest, I'm for whatever it takes to get me back to some semblance of regularity with chewing and swallowing.  I'm resigned to the real likelihood that I will never be able to savor a juicy steak, bite into a sub sandwhich, or eat a green chili cheeseburger whole again, or (and this one really hurts) enjoy a slice of Rosa's pizza without deconstructing it first--but I just want to figure out what my parameters will be, and move on from there.

In the end, I'm like so many other tens of thousands of cancer survivors.  We can never get back to our lives the way they were before we were infected by the Prairie Dogs.  The best we can hope for is to accept the "new normal" of whatever surviving offers and live our lives to the fullest extent possible.  There can be no better Thanksgiving than that.

Well, maybe there can.  Notre Dame beat Boston College at Fenway Park last Saturday, but the Fumbling Irish had 5 turnovers and barely hung on to beat a lowly 3-8 BC team, with not one, but two, true freshmen quarterbacks.  For its miscues (and silly all-green uniforms), ND has fallen out of the top four teams to make it into the national championship playoffs.

After how ND desecrated Fenway Park and its Green Monster, I'm also thankful for that bit of justice.



Right, Paully?

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment