Sunday, October 25, 2015

GCCB, sort of, and gearing up for the next test

At dinner tonight I took a step towards getting back to my culinary Nirvana--a green chili cheeseburger.  I grilled GCCBs for Terry and myself and was able to eat about half of it, sans bun.  I am pretty much resigned that I'll never be able to bite down on a burger and a bun at the same time, ever again--but I am still hopeful of being able to eat a GCCB patty by itself, after cutting it into very small pieces. I was able to do that tonight, but had to stop about half way because my jaw got tired from the chewing, and Terry wanted to do the dishes sometime before 10 o'clock--about when I would have finished it at the pace I was going.

But, it sure tasted good, even if it wasn't the full Monty of a GCCB.

The bigger news in all of that is I have not used my tube for feeding since breakfast on Friday--it's now Sunday night.  I have to inject water into it every day to make sure it doesn't clog, but I've managed to eat almost 3 days of meals orally, and have expanded my food options quite a bit.

This is not the start of my official trial to eat 100% orally for 2 weeks, but it has given me confidence that I can have a go at it a lot sooner than I first thought.  I will contact the doctor's office this week so try to get the OK for that to happen, and if given the green light, start my two weeks as soon as possible.  I have a  pretty good idea of what I can tolerate and what I need to avoid, and think I have plenty of healthy options that will let me meet my caloric and nutritional needs during that two weeks, and beyond.  We are traveling the weekend before Thanksgiving and it would be great not to need any liquid chicken on that trip.

So, stay tuned, and I'll let you know when the 2-week clock starts and ask for your Good Vibes to help me through that next test.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment