Thursday, July 16, 2015

There is a Plan, but it Ain't Free

Slowly but surely a plan has now been made to rid my body of all but one tube.  We met with Dr. Wadsworth yesterday.  He took out the trach and covered it up with a small bandage that should not be needed after 10-14 days.  He also declared the left arm healed well enough to not need the splint or bandage.  But, I do put on a bandage when I'm out of the house so I don't scare anyone who might see the big scar.  He is very pleased with all parts of last month's procedure and think I'm healing very nicely.

There is also a plan to take out the nasal feeding tube and replace it with a direct tube to my stomach (called a PEG tube).  I will not be able to eat orally for several weeks, so this will allow me to expand my food options beyond the liquid food.  But, that progress comes with a price.  The PEG tube will be inserted tomorrow, but I will need to stay overnight in the hospital so they can be sure it's working properly and can tell me how to get a green chili cheeseburger through the tube.

So, time again for more Team Mike Good Vibes to help me through the tube insertion procedure and to give me the calmness, maturity, patience, and overall state of mind to endure yet another night in the hospital without going freakin' bonkers.

Hint, send more Good Vibes for the latter stuff...

If that fails, send Valium--lots of it.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment