Monday, July 6, 2015

Mixed Bag from the Doctor's Visit

Well, we had hoped to see the nasal tube, trach, stitches and staples go away today, but fell short of that goal.  The stitches and staples all came out, quickly and painlessly.  Rather than take the trach out, they put a cap on it to see how I handle fully breathing on my own for a week.  If all goes well, it will come out next week.  The big disappointment was the nasal feeding tube.  They could not do a barium swallow test today because that lab was booked all day.  They tried a swallow test using a camera at the end of a scope, but I could not tolerate the scope and the test had to be aborted.  They have scheduled a barium test on Wednesday, so two more days of the dreaded nasal tube being there.  But I can drink small amounts of water, to help me strengthen those muscles in the meantime.

Bottom line--disappointed but not discouraged. 

More soon.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment