Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Recovery update

After a slow start on my recovery, due to complications during and after the surgery, I am glad to report that the pace has picked up a lot lately.  I am expanding my food choices a little at a time, and slowing weaning myself off liquid foods like Boost.  I lost a lot of weight right after the feeding tube came out, but with a better appetite and more choices lately I am gaining some of the weight back.  I can drink beer (limit is 2 a day so the government doesn't classify me as a heavy drinker), but wine is still a bit too strong for my taste buds.  Reuniting with Mr. Daniels is not in the foreseeable future.

The drop foot problem is slowly getting better, but still a long ways to go.  My physical therapist is pleased with my progress, but I still need the brace for stability and the compression hose to keep the swelling down. 

I am now able to get through most days without a nap, but don't fight it when one is needed.

My facial swelling is way down but still noticeable.  I don't know how much permanent swelling I'll have, but will ask the oral surgeon about that next week. 

We had a series of visitors who gave us a lot of help and were good company while we were mostly house-bound due to the IV schedule.  Thanks go out to Melissa, Marie, Phantom, Janet, Dan, Peg, Jim, and Mo.  We are now getting settled into a more-or-less regular routine, and enjoying our nightly Deck Time that has included some spectacular firefly displays in the last 3 weeks.

The only disappointment is that I won't be able to walk the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th.  But, we'll enjoy the holiday at the Rupp Ranch Resort in the GA mountains, and then I will get to work on running the race next year.

Happy 4th of July and check back from time to time.

mike



No comments:

Post a Comment