Sunday, July 27, 2014

Corrected date for Steve's surgery and some updates

Terry and I spoke with Steve on Friday and he corrected the date for his surgery.  It will be August 26, at Stanford University Hospital.  Steve had several questions for us as he looks to that date, but all in all, he and his wife seem to have a good handle on what to expect, and they both have positive attitudes and a good sense of humor.  So, put a hold on those Good Vibes for a few weeks and send them to Steve and Sandy as the 26th approaches.

I continue to mend slowly but surely from my own surgery.  My jaw feels great and I can eat more and more kinds of foods every week.  The drop foot is getting slightly better, but still hinders me from doing some things that I'd like to.  I would really like to walk more for exercise and start running a bit, but that's going to happen anytime soon.  Wearing the foot brace and walking with a lopsided gait has led to some issues with my back, which also limits my mobility.

Sometime after the surgery I noticed that my left arm was weak and had a very limited range of motion.  The doctors and the physical therapist are not sure if it's yet another side effect from the surgery, but it's for real and I'm doing extra PT for that issue.

So, let's take some inventory.  I go in for jaw replacement surgery and expect that I'll have a huge divot out of my left calf from that.  In addition to those expected outcomes, I now have a bad left foot, a bad back, and a bad left shoulder.  As Roseann Rosannadanna would say on SNL, "It's always something."

But, as it has for 5+ years, it sure beats the alternative.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment