Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Santa Claus in the radiation oncology treatment room

When I arrive for daily radiation treatments, I sign in and immediately go to a waiting room for patients who are on the treatment schedule in that same time period. As you might imagine, it's not the cheeriest of places, and the only thing that brings us all together in that place is our disease, treatment plans, and a schedule that finds us in the same place at the same time on particular days. I see some people almost every day, but others come and go through that room in an unpredictable manner.

Well, today was certainly not a typical day. I arrived to find an iconic vision of a Santa Claus sitting there, waiting for his first treatment. He was not in his suit, and his hair was unseasonably short (Summer's can get hot at the North Pole), but it was him, all right. So, in this room that provides not a single reason to laugh or smile, he told us that he's been doing this for many years in North Georgia, and is already making his plans for Christmas 2009. And, that's the key to all of this--getting through the treatments, etc, so we can return to the things that gave our lives meaning and happiness before we became cancer patients and caregivers.

"Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest of places...If you look at it right"

mike

3 comments:

  1. Santa always seems to come into our life when he is needed. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does GOD. Many many blessing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    I recently reconnected with Wendy Mustain via Facebook and she updated me on your health. I was very saddened to learn the news. She pointed me in the direction of your blog and I just started reading through it tonight. Although I have many entries to go, the quote at the end of this entry really struck me. I just wanted to say how much I agree that we truly are shown the light in many ways, we just have to be on the look out for it.
    Stay positive and focused. You will beat this. :)
    Laura Treanor

    ReplyDelete