Saturday, October 14, 2017

Updates on Steve and Jimmy

Yesterday, after posting that I had not heard anything about Steve or Jimmy, just a few hours later I got updates on both.

Jimmy started his chemotherapy last week--no word on what his treatments entail.  So, that part of the battle begins for him--please send Team Mike Good Vibes his way.

I got a very upbeat email from Steve.  He made the decision a while back to stop eating solid foods, and use only a PEG tube for his nutritional needs.  He says that it makes his life a lot simpler, and that he's gained several pounds back due to the ability to meet his caloric needs more regularly.

From time to time, when I can't look at another cup of yogurt or drink another Boost when I struggle to eat solid foods, I have contemplated the same decision that Steve made.  My food options at home are limited, and much more so at restaurants.  Just yesterday I ordered grilled fish, which should have been easy to eat, but it came out overdone, dry and not edible for me.

When I struggle over a string of days to eat enough food safely, I can get a bit depressed, and then give thought to going down the same path as Steve.  For now I have not felt the need to take that step, but I can understand why Steve and others in our boat have done it.  I have lost the ability to eat almost all of my favorite foods, and have accepted that.  The tipping point will be when I can no longer eat any solid food safely, or can't get enough healthy calories into my body.  For now I'm OK that way, but know that it might not stay that way forever.

mike

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike - looking for an update on you. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete