Friday, October 13, 2017

Life's a Beach...

There has been little to update since my last posting--this one is mostly on the Cancer Revenge side of life.  Terry retired at the end of September and two days later we started two weeks at our favorite beach--Cape San Blas, FL.  We still have two more days here, assuming my liver holds out that long.  We were joined for a few days by my sister Marie, Terry's brother Damon, and his wife Aleisa.  They arrived just in time to watch the fringes of Hurricane Nate hit the Cape hard one night.  It undercut many of the dune walk-overs and steps to the beach.  But, it actually uncovered a set of stairs that had been buried for several years...Nate taketh, and Nate giveth.

We met a couple from TN who arrived for the second week.  We learned that the husband, Michael, was diagnosed with testicular cancer the day after the eclipse, operated on the very next day, and recently had his first round of chemo.  He said his type of cancer has a very high survival rate, 95%+, but his chemo treatments are at very high levels, so he's expecting a lot of short term side effects.  I noticed his recently-shaved head when they arrived, and thought "maybe it's because..." then, sure enough, even at the beach, the Prairie Dogs hunt me down and get into my life in some way.

Speaking of the eclipse, Terry's annual entry in the ATL Botanical Garden Scarecrow contest won 1st Place!  Her theme was "Total CROW-lipse of the Sun--Got Moon?"  I'll add some photos to this when we get home.

I've not heard any updates on my list of usual suspects: Steve, Jimmy, or Kent, so just hoping they are still doing well.

The only update on me is that the recent lower lip injection is working, but not 100%.  I "leak" less, but it's still a problem.  And, the injections are only temporary, so will be back to my normal leaking levels in a month or two.  After that I'll consult with my docs and see what might come next.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment