Friday, August 21, 2015

D+ on the Swallow Test

The results of yesterday's swallow test were about as I expected them to be.  I am able to swallow a bit better than the last time, but am still having some fluid go down my windpipe and into my lungs.  I have been given the OK to eat very soft foods like yogurt, pudding, ice cream, etc., and can drink more Boost during the day.

The Physician's Assistant who gave me the test was hesitant to give that OK, but said that I need to start using those muscles more for actually swallowing food, and not just with my exercises.  She also saw some anatomical issues in my throat that are causing the reduced efficiency  with my swallowing.  She was going to show the test video to Dr. Wadsworth to get his opinion.

We celebrated this bit of progress by going out for dinner last night.  I order the veggie soup--pureed, of course, and was able to eat a little of it.  The bigger challenge was not the thickness of the soup--it was the spiceyness of it--or at least what I thought was spicey.  When Terry tasted it, she said it was a bit peppery, but not at all spicey to her.  So, not only does my food need to be very soft, it needs to be very bland, for now.

At home after dinner I had a little bit of plain vanilla ice cream, which I enjoyed a lot--both for the taste and the coolness on my throat.  Rocky Road and Chery Garcia flavors are off-limits for sure.

So, I passed the test enough to be cleared for a bit of progress, but am a long way from being able to sustain myself with oral feedings.  But, it's a start, and that's all I can ask for today.

Mike

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the updates
    It appears that patience is the only answer!
    Best wishes to you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the updates
    It appears that patience is the only answer!
    Best wishes to you both

    ReplyDelete