Friday, April 10, 2015

Back in the Post-Cancer Vortex

Our meetings with Drs. Roser and Wadsworth this week have led to no decisions yet, but they are narrowing down the possibilities, and likely putting the final decision in our court.  To have all of the information they and we need, I am having two scans done today.  One will generate a 3D image of my head and neck, and the other will be a full body scan to make sure there are no Prairie Dogs hiding in my body.

I went in this morning to get the radioactive dye injected, and go back in a couple hours for the scans.  The time is needed to make sure the dye gets fully distributed in my body--but I'm thinking it already has.  I am in my office with the door closed and lights off, and a green glow is coming from the exposed skin areas of my body.  When I open my mouth, it looks like my cell phone's flashlight app is on--just tinted green.

Seriously, while I was getting the prelim work this morning, they had to put me on the scanning machine to do some calibrations.  All of a sudden it hit me that this is yet another trip into the post-Cancer Vortex, almost exactly a year after the last one that led to the jaw resection.  Meetings with doctors, scans, planning, anticipation, decisions, some type of operation, days in hospital, days at home recovering, and who-knows-what-else this time through.  As we have done in every other trip to the Vortex, we will do whatever we can to stay positive--and rely heavily on Team Mike to help us.

I'll post something again when decisions have been made about the upcoming procedure and when it might get done.

In the meantime, Terry and I are competing in a chili cookoff this weekend in SC.  In addition to our red chilis and salsa, we are cooking chili verde.  We call it "Green Flash Chili."  For real--even I can't make that up.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment