Sunday, June 15, 2014

Looking for another "get out of jail" card--need Good Vibes

Nurse Terry has now administered over 100 rounds of antibiotics IVs to me since I got back home on May 13.  That routine has consumed about 5 hours a day and kept both of us to the tight schedule of three rounds per day: 4:30 am, Noon:30, and 8:30 PM.  We understand how important it has been to decrease my chances of getting another infection, but needless to say, we are way over this routine and would like our lives and sleep schedule back to normal.

Here's where you come in.  We have an appointment with the oral surgeon this Tuesday, at which he will give us the OK to stop the IVs, or tell us we have another week or two of them.  So we need your best Team Mike Good Vibes that Dr. Roser will smile when he looks into my mouth and gives us a "Get out of Jail" card for the IVs.  I feel no signs of infection, so we are cautiously optimistic that they will take out the PICC lines and we can stop the IV drudgery after that.

I have been making good progress on eating orally.  Boosts, yogurt, soups, eggs, cottage cheese, and ice cream are my staples, with an occasional "real food" thrown in--like chicken and some fruit.  The challenge has been to meet my target of around 2,000 calories a day.  My stomach is still shrunk, my appetite is still low, and eating is still a chore--so it takes a long time to chew and swallow food.  I lost about 7 pounds right away, but have since put 1-2 back on, so am going in the right direction.

The drop foot is still there, but some progress to report.  The PT says that are no signs of the nerve being severed, so it's a matter of the nerve healing itself, which will take 4-6 months.  I was prescribed a compression hose to keep the swelling down and it has worked very well.  I can now wear something other than my sandals, and that has stabilized my walking gait a bit and allowed me to walk longer distances.

Sadly, the Peachtree 10K on July 4th is not going to happen for me, but I have accepted that and we will spend the holiday at the Rupp River Resort in Ellijay and enjoy that a lot.

Big thanks to my oldest brother Jim, who had "Mikey duty" this past weekend.  Between sucking down my good beer and wine, eating our food, and going to a Braves game, Jim did complete some important chores that have been lingering a while because I am not able to do them.   

I'll update after the Tuesday appointment, so keep your fingers crossed for us.

Mike



2 comments:

  1. Certainly will be keeping you (and the doctors & Terry) in my thoughts this week. You are a much better patient than I was. I pulled out a picc line myself while sleeping once... or what ever state I was actually in. Glad to hear your family has been able to help in the support as well.
    While I don't know Terry, give hger a hug from me as I KNOW she must be doing a FANTASTIC JOB!
    Wishing you faster recovery than either of you are expecting!! Keep WINNING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great seeing you today. Keep kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete