Friday, April 4, 2014

It's a Shard, Shard, Shard World

It's a bit less than four weeks until the jaw surgery, and it looks like it's going to be just in time.  After little more than a month since Trophy Shard II came out and my pain subsided enough for me to expand my range of safe foods a bit (love the fish and chips!), I discovered a well-developed Trophy Shard III this morning--still embedded.  I felt my pain level inching up the last few days so I had some suspicion that another shard was coming through--but I was really surprised to feel that it's already at the surface. Normally it's about 5-6 months between shards surfacing--this one showed up after about only 6 weeks. The size of this new one, and its rate of development means that the ORN is progressing faster now--so the timing of the May 1 surgery is fortunate.  To be honest, I am not sure my jaw can take another large shard coming out without causing it to fracture at the slightest bit of pressure on it.

Having to take two kinds of pain meds while the last shard ran its course was very difficult on me, and Terry.  Since stopping the gabopentin I have been much more alert and have not had to take daily naps. My reduced food intake from that has caused me to lose almost 15 pounds while in NZ.

So, our return home will come just in time, and we'll have three weeks to get our kiwis in a row before it's time for the next chapter in this book.

Start your Good Vibes that this thing does not pop out while we're in NZ and bank them for the May 1 procedure and beyond.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment