Friday, February 14, 2014

This is How Cool New Zealand is



Terry and I arrived in New Zealand just about two weeks ago now.  In that time we have been busy settling into our nice apartment right off the University of Canterbury campus, learning our way around Christchurch, doing a bit of local touring, and spending five days in Auckland at a conference.  We are now back in CC and will be here for the rest of our stay, except for some planned excursions on the South Island, and maybe one on the North Island.

The picture above was taken at the Hilltop Tavern, overlooking Akaroa Bay and the small village of Akaroa (be sure to hover over the image and enlarge it to max size)..  Built in the late 1800's as a mid-point hotel between CC and Akaroa, it has now become one of the most scenic watering holes on the planet.  I was there in 2000 and knew that it would blow Terry's socks off, so made sure we got a great seat for her first visit.  The beanbags came available and we spent about an hour in them, soaking in the sun and scenery, which included a cute billie goat that clearly knew how to sucker food from guests.  Too bad for the goat, but we only had drinks.

It seems like every day has brought something in the category of spectacular, whether it's been scenery like this (yes, there is more--lots more), meeting the great Kiwi people, seeing new birds, or just being happy that we missed the second Ice Storm of the Century in Atlanta a few days ago.  Thank you, Charlotte NC for letting ATL's time as the laughing stock of the South last only a few weeks.

So, other than rubbing it in ("We're here and yer not"), what's the point of this post?  Well, just as they have for the last 5+ years, the Prairie Dogs are showing their ugly heads when we try to enjoy some return to normalcy in our lives.  We knew we were taking a calculated risk to go this far from home for such a long time--sort of racing the ORN clock, hoping to get home before the jaw replacement surgery becomes necessary.  My pain and swelling have escalated again and eating any food that requires chewing is now out of the question.  Terry eats a big, fat lamb burger, I eat soup.  600 people around me at a local sports award banquet eat tender steaks last night, I get a double helping of mashed potatoes.  Terry eats a grilled cheese sammy, I drink a bad NZ "Boost"-imitation product, that makes me long for...well, real Boost.  You get the idea.

On the optimistic side, this is not the Prairie Dogs returning, so don't worry about that.  This is just the latest installment of the twin "Gifts that keep on giving"--the continued progression of side effects from chemo + radiation five years ago.

Last night at the banquet our host, Ian, asked me why I would come to NZ, knowing the pain levels and food restrictions I would be facing here.  I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "Because it's New Zealand--if this were any other opportunity, I would have stayed home and waited for the surgery to happen."  That got his attention, and appreciation, I think.

I have made a promise to myself and Terry that I would make every effort to fight cancer.  Five years ago, I was doing that every minute of every day.  Now, the fight is against the continued side effects from treatments, and the ORN surgical "clock."  Terry made a comment the other day that this is looking and feeling like my treatment period did five years ago.  She's right, and that helped me to put it into perspective.  It sucks, but that's what it is.

In the end, no one BEATS head/neck cancer--with its long list of side effects, the best you can do is SURVIVE it, and keep plugging along, looking for things in life to enjoy--like having a beer while sitting on a bean bag chair at the Hilltop Tavern in New Zealand.

Mike

1 comment:

  1. G'day mates, looks like you found the perfect spot to make lemonade out of lemons. Tough assignment, but someone has to do it. Keep those seats warm for us. Enjoy and we'll look forward to reading more in the days ahead. Jim and Pam

    ReplyDelete