Monday, September 5, 2011

Stuck inside a hyperbaric chamber, with the ORN blues again

So far, I've completed 25 of my 30 pre-surgery hyperbaric oxygen treatments (aka, "dives"). I'll have three more before I leave of Japan this coming Friday, and the last two when I return. Then I have a consult with the oral surgeon, who will assess my progress and have a better idea of how extensive the surgery will be. Then, after the surgery I have 10 more dives, and will get my life back.

I have found a workable strategy for dealing with the daily routine of getting to the hospital and the monotony of the treatments. I just don't think about how intrusive it is on my daily plans, and above all, do not count down the number of dives I have left. It's coping by surrendering--I know that if I start to dwell on it, the time will feel really, really long every day. While the physical demands are nowhere near what I experienced with the chemo+radiation treatments, the psychological aspects of this are very similar. I just do what I need to do, and know that it will end at some point--and I can then get back to my normal weekday patterns.

More later when I know the date and extent of the oral surgery.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment