Monday, February 20, 2017

Update on Steve, and Good Vibes for Me

I got some clarification on Steve's situation.  He did not have surgery last week--that was an appointment for an MRI.  But, it did confirm the size and location of his new tumor, and from that he's scheduled for surgery on March 1.  They will take some skin and other tissue from from one of his arms (called a free flap) to patch the hole when the tumor is extracted.  He'll likely have several weeks of rehab and therapy to get his speech back to some semblance of normal.

So, please keep building up those Good Vibes for him on March 1, and while you're at it, add some for me.  On that same day I'm having an outpatient procedure to improve the functionality of my lower lip, so my lips will purse together without having to force it.  The current inability keeps me from using a straw (no suction) and makes saliva drip out when I tilt my head down, and forget to close my lips together.  Neither are pretty to watch, but there you have it.

If this little procedure is successful, it could mark the end of my surgical needs for good.  I will have all of the functionality I can ever expect and can then get on with living with those limitations forever.

As always, the key word is "could."  Even though this could be the end of my surgical history, there are never any guarantees for the citizens of Cancer World.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment