Monday, March 23, 2015

"So, now you talk with a limp?"

About two weeks ago I was describing my jaw resection of last May, and told a friend that they cut out my left jaw and took my left fibula to graft that in its place.  He then quipped, "So, now you talk with limp?"  I hadn't thought about it that way, but it's really true and explains why I now...stumble...over some words when I speak.  Everyone's a comic around me--can't imagine why that's the case.

We have an appointment this Thursday with the new surgeon that Dr. Roser has brought on board--upping the count of docs since late 2008 to somewhere North of 60, I think.  We'll find out the options for the next surgery, and hopefully pin down the date--but that might take another visit or two to know.

So, please send some Team Mike Good Vibes that we hear the least intrusive and fastest-healing option on Thursday.  I have resigned myself to the need for this surgery, but I will not be happy if it means another round of IV antibiotics, another nasal feeding tube, and extended down time.

I was at a professional conference this past week and ran into someone I haven't seen since BC (Before Cancer).  I said hello to her by name, but could tell she had no idea who I was, and she gave me one of those polite-to-a-stranger hellos back.  After that event was over, she came over to me and apologized for not recognizing me, saying she was looking for the fully (grey) bearded, heavy set (polite way to say borderline obese) guy she knew years ago.  That reminded me that I've not posted a picture of myself, and Terry, in a long time, so here's what we looked like at that event.  So, suit by Men's Wearhouse, tie by The Jerry Garcia Collection, jaw by Roser, and large Band-Aid by Johnson & Johnson.



More after Thursday's appointment.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment