Wednesday, January 22, 2014

T-minus 9 days

 Kia Ora!  (Maori phrase for "Hey, y'all")

In 9 days from right now Terry and I will be on a flight, somewhere between Los Angeles and Auckland, NZ, on our way to Christchurch, NZ, where we'll live for 9 weeks.  It is hard to believe that it's nearly right around the corner.  While we still have to finish planning our packing, we have done well to cross things off the to-do list, and should be able to avoid any undue stress as we get ready to leave.  We'll have about a week in Christchurch to get settled in, before we go to a conference in Auckland for 5 days.  When we return to CC we'll be in full Kiwi mode that will take us up to April 8.  I'll post here for any health-related news, and you can check our NZ Blog for pictures and stories on other events.  I'll post the blog address before we leave.

The last 2-3 weeks have been tough--one last bitch-slap from the Prairie Dogs to remind us that while we can go halfway around the world on the trip of our lives, we can never escape this far-reaching disease and its after effects once and for all.  The pain and swelling in my left jaw has been a constant 6-8 on that 1-10 scale the doctors use to gauge it.  Even with meds, it doesn't go below a 4 at any time.  A small bone shard popped out about 10 days ago.  And, the trismus has ratcheted up (or down, as it goes) to the point that I am now on about an 80% liquid diet.  Eating anything with a fork or spoon is a struggle, usually ending up with a painful shriek, food stuck on my chin, and dropped food on my lap.  (I know, I know--many of you have seen two out of those three lots of times).

If it were any other opportunity in my life, I would postpone the trip to NZ and have the surgery done right now.  But, the reality is that my recovery is going to be almost a full year, and I'm afraid that I might never be able to go if I have the procedure before heading to NZ.  So, but for the grace of God, and with a bagful of Schedule 1 narcotics, there go I and Terry.  For now, it looks like our calculated gamble is working--the ORN is progressing, but slowly enough to get us home in time for the May 1 surgery.

We have not heard anything new about Maureen Vellia, but will see her before we leave and give you an update.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment