Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Guess What I Got for Christmas?

Yesterday, December 23, my oral surgeon's office gave us an early Christmas present--a tentative (but probable) date for my jaw resection.  May 1 will be the big day.  That will give us three weeks after returning from NZ to get things in order and for me to gorge on my favorite (soft, flat, easy-to-swallow) foods before I go back to my feeding tube diet for several weeks.  Terry is already practicing her pouring skills in anticipation.

Even though we have been gearing up mentally for this gig for several weeks, the news of a firm date hit us both like a ton of bricks.  I am making no bones (pun intended) about it--it scares the shit out of me and am glad that it is not happening right away.  I don't think I am strong enough physically or mentally right now to go through this surgery and the long recovery period.  But when the bell rings on May 1, I'll have done whatever it will take to be ready (Dear Sister Everista [my third grade teacher-nun], Is that a correct sentence?).  Living in NZ leading up to the surgery will allow me to get my head and body right to take this on the same way I did my cancer treatments--with raw stubbornness, a high tolerance for pain, Eastern European genes, a sense of humor, and the love and support of Terry and Team Mike.  Oh yeah--and lots of good meds ;)

Ironically, this is not the worst Christmas present we've had in recent years.  Hearing this news led Terry and I to rewind to December 24, 2008--the date we heard the news that my biopsy was positive for MEC cancer.  Yes, five years today we got the word and saw the radiation oncologist that same afternoon. Of course, that started everything in motion that has lead up to the May 1 surgery, once again verifying what I've said all along about chemo+radiation--they are "The gifts that keep on giving."

Regardless of this bit of news, we are looking forward to a nice Christmas, a Happy New Year, and a wonderful adventure in New Zealand.  In the meantime, Team Mike can take a break until you are called back into action on May 1, 2014.  I will keep posting here in the meantime, and also to my NZ blog once we arrive there.  I'll let you know when that starts.

Mike



2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,
    I am glad you made the 5 year milestone. Mine was in September so I can relate to how you feel. I also can relate, though every case is different, to the fact that chemo and radiation keep giving. I have severe neuropathy in my legs and feet. Still a good trade to not have cancer.

    2013 was a good year for me. I had a pacemaker/defibulator installed in April of 2012. I also had an 8 hour operation to correct the mess my stomach was in from the reversed ostomy and the surgical hernias I had. That was at the 4 year anniversary in September. The defibulator fired 6 times between the end of sept and Christmas of 2012. Each time got me a week in the hospital. 2013 rolled around and they seem to have gotten it correctly regulated. Not one episode the entire year! Looking forward to, and planning on the same kind of good year in 2014.

    I hope you have a great trip to NZ, and that everything goes even better than you are expecting in May.

    I am not good at keeping up to date on blogs etc, but will be sure to keep thinking of you and wishing only good things for you as you continue to beat the odds. You always have been a WINNER, and I am sure that isn't going to change!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    Thanks for the great reply, and I'm glad to hear that you are also a member of the "5-year club"! I am now convinced that no one really WINS against cancer--the best you can do is survive it, and keep on going. The chemo+rads took a lot out of me--enough that I pray I don't get a recurrence. I don't think I could survive another round.
    Happy 2014.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete