Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"I had a hard run..."


Well, I managed to finish my second Peachtree Road Race after completing cancer treatments in 2009, but barely. It was the hottest starting temperature ever for the race, nearly 80 degrees (and very humid) by the time I crossed the starting line a little after 8 am.. Today's paper reported that 28 runners went to the hospital, and 269 others were treated for heat-related problems at the finish line. I felt a little light-headed after finishing, but that went away a few minutes later with the coldest, best-tasting beer I ever had.

The most significant part of yesterday was that it was a typical Peachtree Race, and an uneventful 4th of July, which tells me that I'm having the best revenge possible against cancer--just getting back to a normal life. Well, at least a new-normal life. I've learned to cope with the lingering effects of chemo and radiation, and understand that I will have some 'maintenance' things to deal with for the rest of my life, but those are easily managed with a little attention to them from time to time.

Even while I celebrate this return to normalcy, I know that I can never say that my battle with cancer is over with for good. But, while the Prairie Dogs are in retreat, I'll live my life as fully as I can, and look forward to another Peachtree 10K in 2012.

A special thanks goes out to Mary Jane Handlan who added a local touch to the Livestrong t-shirt that is the only shirt I'll ever wear for the Peachtree and the ATL half-marathon races again (click on the photo for a close-up). The city of my choice to battle prairie dogs from now on is DECATUR. GEORGIA. Please free to kick Prairie Dogs' ass in your own home town.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment