Monday, July 26, 2010

Prairie Dogs Still in Retreat!

The results of last week's PET scan came back normal. No sign of any PD's to be found. Different from how we were counting, they are now declaring me to be 18 months cancer free, so the added good news today was that update on my post-treatment calendar. It's not an exact calendar to begin with, but it was a nice thing to hear. The next scan will be in 6 months.

The oncologist continues to be impressed with how I have responded to the treatments and gotten back to so many of the things I did before that time. I mentioned that I did the Peachtree 10K and his eyes lit up! He confided that he did the Peachtree for 23 years before his own diagnosis and treatments (for the same cancer I had), but never felt the urge to get back into exercising again.

But, all of the news is not glowing. I am experiencing some latent side effects from the radiation treatments (aka, "The gift that keeps on giving") that are going to need some special attention in the near future--and probably for the rest of my life. All of my symptoms are quite common for a year after treatments , but come under the old saying, "Just when you thought it was safe..." None of this is life threatening, or increases the chances of the cancer recurring, but is serving to remind me that this disease will always be a part of my life.

But enough of that. Terry and I are going out to dinner to do a little celebrating for all the great news we got today, and will make a toast to Team Mike once again for all the love, support, humor, and good vibes you've sent our way to help us come so far so fast.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment