Monday, April 6, 2009

Back From The Brink

Terry's last blog gave a good description of the situation while I was in the hospital last week--along with the nurses and doctors, we watched my condition slip to very dangerous levels on several counts. We were very fortunate to have made the decision to get to the hospital the night before, so when things bottomed out we were right where we needed to be.

I can directly recall only bits and pieces of what happened from Wednesday night to Friday afternoon--most of what I know know has come from the doctors, nurses, and Terry. What I do know is that the medical personnel at Piedment Hospital saved my life more times than I can count until my own body was able to take over for itself again.

One result of this episode is that the third round of chemo has been postponed until next week, probably Monday. That will allow my blood counts to get even higher and for me to build up some additional strength. Another great decision by my docs, I think.

We'll let you know when the last chemo infusion will be, so you can crank up the good vibes once again.

My thanks go out to all of you who have emailed me with well wishes--you have no idea how much they were really needed over the last few days.

mike

5 comments:

  1. So glad to have you back at home so Rome's can get some rest! Good vibes always coming your way from the 'ville!

    Love
    Damon and Aleisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. ~C.C. Scott

    Glad to hear that you are back on the path to recovery Dr. Metzler!...

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike
    Have only just heard (today)the news of your fight to beat this sucker and of your blog from Doune Macdonald. So fight the good fight and fight it hard - your friends from down under are thinking of you.
    Tony Rossi

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know... you have got to be one of the toughest guys I know. And then add on top of that your fierce and stubborn wife I have nothing but optimism that you are going to show those prairie dogs whose boss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fierce? Stubborn? Your kidding, right? I'm the meek and mild one.

    T

    ReplyDelete