Monday, February 23, 2009

Baby Face Gets Treatment Day 1: Chemo + Radiation

After being told that there was a 100% chance of losing facial hair from the radiation, Mike shaved is face totally clean for the first time since early college, when he first started his moustache. He's had a beard since 1990, so Terry had never seen him without facial hair. We've made a deal: I'll keep shaving if she wears a wig to bed one night a week. (In your dreams, sweetheart! tm)

On the serious side, my clean-shaven face shows the exact location and relative size of the tumor--and it looks somewhat larger with no facial hair to cover it.

Even though it was a very long day, getting both a chemo treatment and a radiation treatment, we came away very enouraged by what when down. The Chemo "Infusion Room" is very large, bright and comfortable, with a great staff. I got about 4 and a half hours of IVs that started and ended with substantial amounts of hydration. Sandwiched between those was an hour of Cisplatin IV. Glad to report that I felt no discomfort furing that time.

I was later taken to the Radiation Oconology Lab, where they adjusted a light mask that is used to hold my head in exactly the right place for the radiation dosage. Before the mask adjustments, I went "white knuckle" in about 2 seconds, from the mask pressing on the tumor, which in turn pressed on my throat. Again, the docs and tech staff were wonderful in getting me comfortable enough to get what they called "great shots" at the tumor from several angles.

So, the treatment schedule is set for the entire 6 weeks. The next big questions are "Are the treatments working?" and "What side effects will I experience?"

More later.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment